December is a really good month to bake, don’t you think? I usually bake a lot of cookies, fig breads, alfajores, and some canapés for this season. I still haven’t started my annual massive cookie and alfajor production, but las weekend was my boyfriend’s birthday, and we organized a small party… and since a birthday without a cake is just a meeting, I made him a Vanilla and Dulce de Leche Cake (Pastel de Vainilla y Dulce de Leche).
I decided to do something that I haven’t done before, which is not-that-good because your chance to fail tends to increase when you try new things, but in the end, the cake was really good.
I also made some canapés. I will share with you a really easy recipe for a cream cheese that is absolutely delicious. I hate to be so enthusiastic about a recipe (because I feel like I’m selling it, and I’m not) but, this cream cheese is really a big hit in reunions and it is easy to make.
Warm Cream Cheese
- 1 bar of Philadelphia cheese (or any cream cheese that you like)
- As much chopped garlic as you like
- Chile de árbol quebrado (chopped tree chili) *easy on this!! It is very spicy
- Olive Oil
How to do it
- First, take out your cream cheese bar and put it just like that in a glass recipient that you can put in the oven.
- Put the chopped garlic on the top, and then put the tree chili (it is very spicy, so be careful) and finally pour some olive oil.
- Put it on the oven for about 20 to 30 minutos at low-medium heat (150-180 C).
- Walk to the fridge, and serve yourself a glass of wine
- Enjoy the smell !! 🙂
For the oregano-parmesan puff pastry stars (jajaja, a very fancy name for just puff pastry) you just need:
- Puff pastry
- Any specie you like
- Parmesan cheese
So basically you just need to knead the puff pastry and cut small stars, then you have to varnish them with egg and add parmesan cheese and any spice you like. Finally just put them in the oven but be really careful because they will be ready like in 5 minutes. 😦 I spoiled some of them for being distracted.
I think you can do a really cute birthday reunion just with some details, like nice disposable dishes, napkins and canapés. For example, I found this Santa Claus boxes and I filled them with pop corns, and they looked pretty! 🙂
About the cake, I used a Paulina Abascal recipe.. (I love her), but, let me tell you that it was not the consistency I expected. I wanted something a little more spongy, and otherwise, the consistency was more like a pound cake, but it had an excellent flavor.
- 2 tsp of vanilla scent
- 395 g of all-purpose flour
- 300 g eggs
- 390 g sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup of sour cream
How to do it
- Beat the butter until it gets soft
- Add the sugar, sour cream, salt and baking soda
- Add half of the eggs, until the mixture is homogenized, and then add the missing eggs.
- Finally, add the flour.
- Bake it for around 45 at 180 ºC
At the end, it’s having a good time with the people you love ! 🙂